More than 60 years ago on March 14, 1954, three Salesians led by Fr. Atillio Boscariol arrived to the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral upon the invitation of the concerned citizens of Cebu to start Don Bosco Boys Town – the city’s work for street kids. After a year on March 5, 1955 Don Bosco Boys Town moved to a new place in Punta Princesa along Buhisan River in a 4 ½ hectare land donated by the late Don Ramon Aboitiz. Soon Boys Town had its own school and was called Don Bosco Technical High School into which the Salesians welcomed other boys too like boarders and day students.
Today after 2015 the Street Boys have all gone. The Boys left behind are no more homeless, destitute, wayward nor poor. Through the sixty years our school has also acquired a new name: Don Bosco Technical College – Cebu Inc.
Looking back gratefully to our past pioneers who taught us how to go forward without fear, we at DBTC remain undaunted as now to go forward after our sixtieth year. We face another sixty or more with even greater optimism and further synergy. For the last 60th Jubilee we have fittingly adopted the theme
Synergy at 60: Grateful of the Past, Engaging the Present, Strengthening the Future with Excellence.
As we aim towards further greater stability we look forward to superior quality education.
We already have started our five-year plan with:
FOUR THRUSTS to aim at…
- Opening our technology resources to wider participation and encouraging partnership with industries to develop technopreneurs.
- Defining and refining the athletics, sports and cultural programs.
- Achieving academic excellence.
- Living up to that Bosconian “trademark” of being self-disciplined in behavior, actions and manners.
To achieve these we begun working through FOUR STRATEGIES
- Workable standard of Management and Governance.
- Consortium with like-minded institutions toward fortifying the student and faculty development.
- Bannering the K+12 program implementation.
- Strong push for PAASCU Accreditation.
Let us all continue collaborating as one in this great endeavor.
Definitely after 60 DBTC is on high gear and still with no fear!
Finally for this current year 2015 – the for the 200th Birthday of Don Bosco, our beloved Rector Major, Fr. Angel Artime Fernandez, has already given us this Strenna:
LIKE DON BOSCO,
WITH THE YOUNG, FOR THE YOUNG!
May Saint John Bosco, our Father and Teacher, continue to inspire us all in our mission to make DBTC a better place for young people to mature into heroes and saints – into honest citizens and good Christians within society and in the Church.
Yours sincerely in Don Bosco,
Fr. Honesto NIORET Geronimo Jr., SDB
Rector – DBTC